Always maintain safe behavior around tools. Clean up after yourself, and others, if needed. Children must be supervised. Many tools here can be dangerous. If you are not qualified to use them or are unsure, please ask! A list of rules will not keep you safe; safety comes from knowing how to recognize all possible hazards and understanding how to deal with them. You are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others.
MakerLab NW is an inclusive and welcoming space. We value each member’s experiences. The presence of multiple viewpoints strengthens our community, advances our vision, and supports our pursuit of productivity, and tolerance.
As a member or guest of MakerLab NW, you agree to act with respect towards everyone in the space regardless of:
- Chosen Craft
- Preferred Tools
- Experience, ability or interest
- Gender or gender expression
- Body Size
- Race, color or origin
- Sexual orientation
- Belief system
Guidelines for Respectful Interaction
- Treat other people as they would like to be treated. If you do not know how, ask them.
- Yes means yes, no means no, and assume maybe means no. Accept an answer of “no” without arguing. Say “yes” when you mean yes.
- Respect others’ personal space and possessions. Ask before you touch someone or their belongings.
- Respect chosen names/pronouns/genders.
- Act from an assumption of mutual respect and good will. Clarify misunderstandings, apologize for harm caused, and assume ignorance rather than malice.
- Watch out for each other. Maintaining a respectful and safe community is everybody’s responsibility.
All forms of harassment, including sexual harassment, are unacceptable here. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or other protected class status; sexual images in public spaces; deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following; harassing photography or recording; repeated interruption; repeated violation of an individual’s stated boundaries; inappropriate physical contact, unwanted intrusion into an individual’s personal items or computer systems; and unwelcome sexual attention of any form. Individuals asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.